In these challenging times full of serious news, uncertainty and societal change – we all need some comfort. In response, we are baking up batches of our favourite chocolate-chip cookies – the ultimate comfort food – and a long-time favourite of guests. These cookies have been enjoyed with a cup of coffee before setting out on morning game-drives, during game-drives, mid-morning snacks, afternoon tea …and just before bedtime.
Gloria Mlambo has a passion for baking and uses our tried and tested recipe to create these sweet treats. Use your time of self-isolation to give this recipe a try – and if you are home-schooling your children – there are many skills you can highlight like weights and measurements, time and origin of ingredients – explain how the cocoa bean is turned into chocolate…
Guests often ask for the recipe before they leave Morukuru Family Madikwe.. so here it is!
P.S. Wash hands before starting!
Ingredients (Large Batch)
500g salted butter
250g castor sugar
250g brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla essence
4 cups rolled oats
4 cups cake flour/ all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
400g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 175°C /340°F
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla essence and the milk to the sugar mix until it is combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the mixture.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and then mix it into the wet mixture.
- Roll the dough into 15g balls and put on a greased baking tray.
- Allow to chill in the fridge first before baking – to prevent the mixture from spreading.
- Bake until golden brown and then cool on a rack.