400g tinned red kidney beans, drained
1/4 onion, roughly chopped
1/4 red pepper, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
10g coriander leaves
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ green chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse the beans under cold running water and then pat them dry with kitchen paper towel and set aside.
- Place the oats in a food processor or use a stick blender and pulse for about 20 seconds until the oats resemble flour.
- Add ¾ of the beans and the other ingredients to the bowl. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining beans and pulse for a few seconds so that the mixture is slightly course, the mixture can be soft
- Form into 4 burger patties with your hands
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight on non- stick baking paper, covered with cling film.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and carefully transfer the patties using a spatula and then fry over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through.
Serving Suggestions: Serve on a fresh burger bun bought from your local bakery or make your own. Topped with onion marmalade, Tzatziki, and fresh coriander leaves.
Ingredients for onion marmalade
500g onions, finely sliced
10ml mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, minced
15ml rosemary, finely chopped
4 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
30ml vegetable oil
350ml balsamic vinegar
100g brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the mustard seeds
- Reduce the heat and add all the other ingredients except for the vinegar, port, and sugar
- Cook until the onions begin to soften
- Add the rest of the ingredients and allow to simmer until it becomes like a marmalade
Ingredients for Tzatziki
1/2 of a large cucumber, unpeeled
1 1/2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- Grate the cucumber and sprinkle with salt and drain through a fine mesh sieve
- Squeeze excess liquid out of the grated cucumber
- Combine the yogurt, garlic, oil, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Transfer the grated cucumber and fresh dill to the yogurt mixture and stir to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and if necessary, season more with salt